6 answers

Travelling the US for a few months and im trying to figure out the best way to convert my money allong the way, I've looked into a few travel card options but they're pretty expensive to get cash out. Any ideas?

Asked by via Site_iconTravellr.com

6 Answers

  • +1

    I've always used my bank card at partner banks in the US (check with your bank which ATMs in the USA you can use) and found the exchange rate is better than the foreign exchange at airports, etc. Also, get enough cash out to last you a week, as there's also a conversion fee. over 9 years ago

    Answered by Ian C via Site_iconTravellr.com
  • +1

    Hey Ashtan,

    I went to st george and exchanged it to travellers cheques, the conversion rate is a little higher than notes and the percetange of exchanging is a little lower than cash money, they are pretty save and convenient in the US. over 9 years ago

    Answered by Julie Moya via Site_iconTravellr.com
  • +1

    I've always found it's a trade off: security vs value. The best thing about using your regular ATM card around the world is that you only carry as much on you as you need and can get local currency at any time. But banks usually charge something like $5 per transaction plus an FX fee, so it makes sense to only get say $500 out at a time.

    These days I prefer not to carry travellers cheques, although you'll probably get a better exchange rate if you do. In Sydney I've found the Western Union counter at the entrance to Wynyard Station on the George Street side has the best rates. And they don't take commission.

    But I still prefer ATM for convenience and security, even if you pay for it!

    Enjoy your trip over 9 years ago

  • +1

    I am travelling to America in a few months and I got a travelex card through my bank. The exchange rate is pretty good but as others have said taking money out is a little exy but I am opting for the safer way of having money. I think taking out enough to last say a week is a good idea.

    I hope you have fun on your trip :o) over 9 years ago

    Answered by Danielle via Site_iconTravellr.com
  • 0

    Thanks a lot for the help everyone over 9 years ago

    Answered by via Site_iconTravellr.com
  • +2

    I dont know where you're from...but if you're Australian i'd recommend the "28 degrees" credit card. For the past 5 years i've been using it when i travel...there are no international transaction fees and you can load it with your own money and withdraw at atms like a bank card.
    Here's the site for more info....
    Also regarding cash...australia post convert currency and they dont charge any conversion fees or commission.
    have an awesome trip!!! over 9 years ago

    Answered by via Site_iconWorldNomads.com

Answer this question

Map of United States