3 answers

I live in the UK, am travelling to Mexico via USA, and then back after 2 months to the USA. I'm then driving to Canada and staying there for 8+ months.

So I don't have a return ticket to the UK. So how do I get a US visa for when I'm there? Thanks!

Also should I get a visa or can I get away with a visa waiver?

Asked by via Site_iconWorldNomads.com

3 Answers

  • 0

    They'll be looking for proof that you intend to leave, so a return airline ticket is the best indicator (because it's expensive and therefore unlikely you're not serious about it). But a cheap bus ticket to Canada will probably do (it doesn't have to be an airline ticket). Also, a letter from your employer stating your intended date of return, or similar from a landlord... basically anything that strongly indicates you do intend to leave. over 6 years ago

    Answered by Ask Phil via Site_iconWorldNomads.com
    • Thanks! Should I try get a visa or do you think I could get away with a visa waiver? Meredith over 6 years ago
  • 0

    Meredith, not my area of expertise, but if I was in your shoes... because it's a bit complicated I'd suggest applying for a visa through a consulate is the best option. You'll be able to explain things better. It'd be dreadful to get to US immigration and get turned around!
    The 8 months in Canada - are you staying with anyone, could they give you a letter stating the dates they've agreed on? Or is there a job, a wedding, anything? over 6 years ago

    Answered by Ask Phil via Site_iconWorldNomads.com
    • I'm an exchange student in Canada, just waiting for a confirmation. Thanks for the advice, I will wait to get the confirmation from the University and use that. Thanks! Meredith over 6 years ago
  • +1

    A visa Waiver is good for up to 90 days in the US, I've travelled standby without having return tickets, as long as they know you will leave, that should be fine. So just have all your itinerary dates with you, because they WILL ask if you have a return ticket.
    I say this because getting a visa through the consulate can be lengthy depending on which kind, and the visa waiver costs only $15 and takes less than 15 minutes to complete. over 6 years ago

    Answered by Alasdaire via Site_iconWorldNomads.com

Answer this question

Map of United States