We will be in USA for 12 months , what are the absolutely must sees and dos. We enjoy national parks and history.
We are mature Travelers and enjoy travelling independently. We are looking forward to motorhome ing are around the USA for 12 months.
Wow a whole year should give you plenty of time to see America. Arches National Park is one of my favorites, as is the Grand Canyon. The west coast is filled with amazing national parks and scenery. History wise you may like Bandelier National Monument in New Mexico which features ancient houses from over 11,000 years ago. Roadtrippers.com is helpful when planning a long road trip like that. about 7 years ago
There are so many things you can put on this list. We are from Vancouver, Canada, but have had the opportunity to road trip across both the US and Canada on many occasions. You'll find 12 months won't be enough time for you but here's a few things to get the list started.
Starting from the West Coast:
- so much to see in California but the coastal highway is amazing. We went from San Francisco to the Oregon border, but even going from LA or San Diego all the way up would be great. So many quaint towns along the way
- in Northern California near the Oregon border is the great Redwood forest with some of the biggest trees in the world. There's one you can drive a car through, but that won't work for your RV. The trees are amazing to see though
- Once you cross the Oregon border, at the coast, there are the sand dunes that run for miles. An amazing natural site
- San Francisco, Portland and Seattle are great cities to visit as well...each have their own beauty
- Las Vegas is a place that just needs to be visited, even if you don't gamble. It's a uniqueness all on it's own
- From there you can do the Hoover Dam and Grand Canyon - though I don't recommend doing them on the same day. Spending a couple of days at the Grand Canyon is something to consider.
- We drove from LA to Vegas and all the way to Nashville. There are some great National Parks there. You can get a pass for 1 year to visit all the parks in the US...I would recommend it
- If you have an iPad, invest $20 a month and get a 3G sim card for it. We found it a great way to research things and learn about the areas we were visiting
- Albuquerque, New Mexico has a Hot Air Balloon festival each year
- Oklahoma City has done a great job honouring the memory of those who died in the 1996 Federal building bombing
- If you make it down to Louisiana, New Orleans has a great culture to it
- Haven't spent much time in Texas but Texas is like it's own country so you probably don't want to miss it
- Memphis is home to Graceland, whether you're an Elvis fan or not, I've heard it's good
- Nashville is home to the Country Music Hall of Fame. Tennessee has a lot of good history to it about 7 years ago
Ran out of space!
- so much other history to the US...we haven't done much on the east coast but a lot of great things to see or do right along that coast
- of course, Mount Rushmore in South Dakota is another site to see
- Niagara Falls as well
- New York City isn't a great place for an RV, but you can always take the train in for the day
- so many parks to mention all across the country
- and if you can fit it in, make a trip through Canada...Montreal has a great culture with a tonne of museums
- I haven't been to eastern Canada but look forward to that road trip one day
12 months is a good amount of time, but it won't be enough, depending on if you want to travel slowly or see as many sites as possible.
Any specific questions, just ask as there are too many places to put into one broad answer, but this is a start :) about 7 years ago