2 answers

Myself & 3 mates are heading to the USA & are wanting to buy a 4x4 to drive around for 3 months.
We´re flying into LA & I am wondering if anyone knows a good place to start looking for a car & what licence restrictions are there along with insurance.

Thank you.

2 Answers

  • +1

    There are a few problems to consider if you are not american.
    1/ you will be required to obtain a US driver's license as you are staying quite long. To make it harder, you will also be required to have a social security number for that, which requires a valid visa (assuming you will be with the tourist waiver, this pretty much making it impossible to get anything). It can easily take 6 weeks to obtain all the paperwork.
    2/ you will need to register the car, which isnt cheap (prob around 250$), and will likely require you to have an address in the US for that (if not a social security number as well!).
    3/ failing to obtain a US driver license will mean difficulties to get a car insurance, and if you do find one probably expect to pay a hefty premium at best.

    Ultimately i am not convinced buying a car will be the best option if you are on a tourist visa. Unless there are specialised services specific to foreign travellers, i would be surprised if your best option wasnt to rent a car... You can always rent a cheap one and get a 4x4 for specific areas... over 8 years ago

    Answered by via Site_iconAsk a Nomad iPad app
  • 0

    It is not true that you will need a US drivers license. You country license works just fine - and is legal.
    Also, if you're staying in the US for UNDER 90days it's best to look at rental companies to see if they can rent you one at a deeply discounted rate, or see if they offer sales of their old fleet.
    As far as insurance goes, if you rent, you country insurance will suffice also, but it would be worth it by taking the insurance offered by the rental.
    Just one thing to consider. I don't know how much luggage you and your mates will have, but you mentioned a 4x4 - look into getting a crossover SUV, not a full size. This will save you a lot of $$$. over 8 years ago

    Answered by via Site_iconAsk a Nomad iPad app

Answer this question

Map of United States