4 answers

I am flying to Kuala Lumpur in January, and am making my way to Thailand. Ive looked on advice sites, and its all a bit unclear.
I want to get a 90 day visa, but they say I need proof of flight leaving country. Well im not leaving by plane, I am crossing into Laos by foot or bus at the end of 3 months.
Can I get the visa I need in Georgetown or at the border?

Asked by mark wood via Site_iconWorldNomads.com

4 Answers

  • 0

    To be honest I have no idea about these details but usually in circumstances like that, if you don't have a flight out ticket they can ask for a proof of founds, if you don't get more info I'd take a recent bank statement or something like that and give it a shot. It's all I got for you. Good luck almost 7 years ago

    • thanks, have changed start [lace, which makes it a lot easier. mark wood almost 7 years ago
  • 0

    You could always purchase the cheapest bus ticket out, if you pick a local bus it would be really cheap, and then not use it. The immigration authorities just need to see SOME evidence you don't plan on staying indefinitely.
    Phil at the Safety Hub. almost 7 years ago

    Answered by Ask Phil via Site_iconWorldNomads.com
  • 0

    I'm not sure you can get a 90 day visa. I've been in and out of Thailand several times and I've never heard of someone getting a 90 day visa that wasnt work related. You automatically get a 30 day visa when arriving by plane and automatically get a 2 week visa when arriving by foot. The only way to extend is to leave and return. You can easily leave for 5 mins and cross right back over the border. Its a pain in the ass but all foreigners have to do it. almost 7 years ago

    Answered by via Site_iconWorldNomads.com
  • 0

    Just did a "visa run" in Northern Thailand (Mae Sai). The whole thing was easy and fast, infact when we went to the Myanmar side they just stamped our enty and departure stamps at the same time. The fee for Myanmar is 10 USD or 500 baht (which turns out to be 16-17 USD); I tried to pay with a 10 USD bill but they only accept bills 2009 or newer. So if you want to save 6 bucks use USD (2009 or newer). We also got another 30 days in Thailand for free, I had heard a rumor that they might be changing it at all overland border crossings to another 30 days (free). However, I am not sure is this is true at every overland crossing and how many times you are allowed to extend.

    As for proof of where we were staying, we just put down the name of a guesthouse and the town (we didn't have a reservation or the actual address), this worked fine. For proof of exit we just put the border crossing we planned to exit from and a rough date (did this for both timed we entered, by plane in Bangkok and by foot in Mae Sai), this also seemed to work fine and no questions were asked. As far as I see it Thailand makes sooooo much money off tourism, they want you there, they want you to spend your baht! I haven't heard of anyone getting denied at the border for not having an address of where they are staying or proof of exit, even though technically those are the rules. However, every border crossing is different so it doesn't hurt to have as much info as possible, but don't stress out about it too much!

    As for the 90 day visa, I dont really know much about it. I just met some Canadians who applied and thought they had their 90 days but were only stamped for 30 when they arrived. It was a whole messy mixup that had happened back at the embassy in Canada. Good luch!! almost 7 years ago

    Answered by via Site_iconWorldNomads.com

Answer this question

Map of Thailand