3 Answers

  • 0

    You can get an international license from AAA in the states. I don't think you have to have one but it gives you an extra layer of protection. You should be able to get insurance with the rental agreement. I recommend full coverage as Portugal has some of the worst drivers in Europe. Beautiful country with wonderful people and much cheaper than most of Europe. Have fun. almost 8 years ago

    Answered by via Site_iconAsk a Nomad iPad app
  • 0

    The driver has to be in possession of a valid driving license for at least 1 year. Also, a valid ID card or passport would be required at time of pick up.
    An International Driver’s License (IDL) is required if the renter’s national driving license is not in Roman alphabet. International driver license must be accompanied by the original domestic license of the driver.And for Portuguese residents NIF (Fiscal Number) is required.
    These things should have to be known before driving in Portugal country. Rules over there are very strict.When I was there I have seen lots of people facing driving problems.And try to hire a car from well known company.One I can suggest you http://www.carrentallisbonairport.com .You can try and i hope this info will help you.
    Thanks over 7 years ago

    Answered by via Site_iconTravellr.com
  • 0

    The cheapest is to find an English website, they aggregate local private companies with unbelievable bargains. When you arrive to the airport they will have someone with your name on a card and you do the transaction there. If you require automatic car you will have a hard time to find one..call Avis instead over 7 years ago

Answer this question

Map of Portugal