2 answers

How much does it cost? Do I need an international driving licence? How safe is driving there? Are there police hassles? I was mainly thinking of renting in Ubud and heading East around Gunung Lempuyang ... advice welcome.

Asked by leon via Site_iconTravellr.com

2 Answers

  • +1

    Yes, it is very easy to do. As a guide, you will pay around $10usd a day for a basic car (like a Jeep Jimney) so aim to pay at least half this per day for a motorbike and be prepared to haggle. Ask your hotel reception for who they recommend neaby to arrange a rental. You do not require an international drivers licence in INdonesia, HOWEVER, if you are stopped by the police they may ask you to pay them a "fine" for not having one. Not a problem, pay them 50,000-100,000idr and be very polite and friendly! If you're heading East, the landscape is spectacular. Be sure to follow the coast road through Amed and jump out for a snorkel, it is very good in this area.

    Enjoy!! about 10 years ago

    Answered by Ashlea Kellner via Site_iconTravellr.com
  • +1

    Very easy, too easy! Yes you do need an International Driver's Permit, which means you need to have a motorcycle license from your home country (you can't 'upgrade' what you don't have with an IDP).
    If you don't have a motorbike license at home you can still get a "tourist license" by taking a test at Denpasar police station. But if you don't already have experience riding a motorbike, can I recommend against getting it in a foreign country?
    Bali's not as bad as some places, but the road rules and conditions are not what you're used to at home.
    Police might stop you, because they enjoy the "on-the-spot-fines" the unlicensed have to cough up.
    It costs about $US7 a day for a bike from one of the bigger businesses.
    There's more safety in hiring a small jeep-like car. It's about twice the cost of a bike, but if there're 2 of you it works out the same, its more comfortable, and you don't have to worry about falling off.
    If you ride a bike without a license and you get injured, you won't be covered by your travel insurance. Phil about 10 years ago

    Answered by Ask Phil via Site_iconWorldNomads.com

Answer this question

Map of Bali