4 answers

A friend and I are traveling around Europe (probably only london and one other country). She is from London and has a bank account but I'm not sure what the best option is for me. I've never traveled before. I want to be able to pay for everything from hostles to street vendors to refilling my oyster card in London. Any ideas?

4 Answers

  • 0

    My advice would be to use your debit card or visa. Can't get better protection Than that. I would make sure I had a little bit of pounds and euros in my pocket in case I got caught out. over 7 years ago

  • 0

    Can I use my debit card that I use here in the states over there? over 7 years ago

  • 0

    Most likely your debit card will work if you have a 4 digit pin. Your bank will confirm for you (it should say on their website). Occasionally you'll have to try a couple different types of bank machines to get one to work for you, but not a big deal.
    Daniel is right, keep some pounds or euro cash on you for smaller purchases. Your bank will charge a fee for every withdrawal, plus the currency conversion charge, so plan ahead and make withdrawals only occasionally.
    Smart to have a debit card and credit card from two different institutions too.
    Don't bother with traveller's cheques. over 7 years ago

    Answered by TravelEater via Site_iconWorldNomads.com
  • 0

    Always plan on cash when paying in restaurants. It is much preferred and some do not take cards. ATM machines are pretty easy to find. Some banks have security doors that you must use your card in a scanner to get in to the machine. You will usually get a good exchange rate using ATM. Don't forget to let your bank know you will be traveling overseas. over 7 years ago

    Answered by via Site_iconAsk a Nomad iPad app

Answer this question

Map of Europe