Distance between Cairo and Alexandria is 220 KM (approximately 3 hours from Cairo down town).
There are allot to see in Cairo (Pyramids, Egyptian Museum, Khan El Khalili, Saladin Citadel) See them all in this post http://egyptolution.com/post/top-things-to-do-in-cairo/81 almost 7 years ago
7 Recommendations for a week end at Cairo
1. Having a day tour to the Giza Pyramids and Memphis and Sakkara
2. Horse back riding or Camel trekking in the desert with a panoramic view of the Giza Pyramids will add fund to your visit
3. Dedicate a day tour to the Egyptian Antiquities Museum specially the treasures of King Boy Tut Ankhamun on its display then you can visit the Citadel of Salah El Din and then you can go shopping to Khan EL- Khalili where you can buy souvenirs of all kinds. You can also try smoking Shisha or water pipe there while drinking a cup of coffee or tea at the famous Fishawy Coffee shop (200 years old).
4. Or if you prefer visit another city you can head for a day tour to Alexandria to visit Catacomb of Kom El Shoukafa, Pompay Pillar, Roman Amphitheatre, Alexandria Library and Citadel of Quitbay, have lunch at one of the seafood restaurants overlooking the Mediterranean sea.
5. In the evening you can watch the amazing Giza Sound and Light show by the Pyramids.
6. An evening Felucca tour on the Nile is certainly one of the most exciting and unique activities you can do whilst in Cairo
7. Or you can sail for two hours at night on a dinner Nile Cruise and whilst having your dinner you can enjoy Belly dancer and folklore show
Have a lovely stay http;//www.egyptholidaysdirectory.com almost 7 years ago
Hi - if you are looking to go to Alex the train is easy and cheap - you could go in the morning and stay there overnight. Trains run quite often in the day. Conversely any tour company can take you on a day trip. http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=337940980063 Or arrange a hotel for you and a two day tour :-)
All the best - Alex is delightful
Lyndall over 6 years ago