Hello, this winter I will travel in backpackers way to Costa Rica, for 2-3 month. I spoke with an italian turist who has been in Costa Rica and found a Tarantula in his Backpack!!! I really do not like to get in touch with them.
Has there been problems in Costa Rica with health for insects, dangerous spiders???
Is there some advice to give me to reduce risk as much as possibil?
Are they attract from special colours (so I will not carry clothes in this colour)?
Thanks for your interest/answer.
Greetings from Martina, german living in Italy.
Hi, I have lived in Costa Rica all my life. You should not worry about insects or spiders in this country, since thay are everywhere but are not dangerous.
Take these precautions:
a) Aedes Aegipti is a kind of mosquito that may transmit dengue. Dengue is very hard on you. To prevent this, always use repelent, and avoid places where there are sick persons with dengue.
b) Snakes: if you sleep in an open place, don't leave anything on the ground/floor. If walking in the woods, always watch your step, and use boots.
This is all I can think of now, and most of all, enjoy your stay in this wonderful country. Try to feel it deep in you. about 5 years ago
thanks a lot for your answer.
I will act like you advised me.
The only really FEAR I have is to see/have contact with TARANTULA. Do you know if there a zone to avoid to go to, to decrease the risk to see one of them?
Thanks a lot, greetings, Martina about 5 years ago
There are no specific zones that I can warn you about. I've seen large spiders (not sure if tarantulas) almost anywhere, even in San Jose, the capital. It's a pitty you hate those since they are harmless.
One thing I can tell you for sure is that it's been long since I last saw one.
Try not to think about them, and good luck. about 5 years ago
After almost 3 months of living in Costa Rica I can tell you a couple of things about bugs.
1) Spiders, centipedes, millipedes, and crazy looking bugs are EVERYWHERE in Costa Rica.
2) Natives aka Tico's will tell you not to worry, "they don't bite" - but they have grown up their whole lives around them, so their outlook is very different!
3) Most are actually harmless
4) There is at least 1 very deadly snake, but hospitals have anti-venom.
5) The worst bug is a Beetle which carries a parasite that causes an incurable heart disease, called Chagas Disease. Look it up. It is present throughout all south and Central America. almost 5 years ago