1 answer

I nedd to find a travel policy which will cover me touring Cambodia on my Thai Registered 250cc Motorcycle

Asked by Martin Grant via Site_iconWorldNomads.com

1 Answer

  • +1

    Hi Martin, Phil from the Safety Hub here. I'm assuming that because you're a worldnomads.com member you know that among the many awesome things we offer travellers, the main one is travel insurance?
    I'm not the insurance expert at worldnomads.com, but I've checked with them, and they say as long as you are properly licensed (and not doing anything illegal - and wearing a helmet is mandatory in Cambodia) you should be covered if you inure yourself. It's entirely your responsibility to make sure you are properly licensed.
    But I can help you with that. Have a look at this piece I wrote about motorcycles in S.E Asia
    So, to LEGALLY ride in Cambodia you'll need a Cambodian license - your home license and an IDP will not suffice in relation to your insurance. Sure, you can pay the bribe to any cop that stops you, or you can buy the official-looking but fake license in Phnom Penh, but if it comes down to who pays the $100,000 for your medical evacuation back home, your insurer will want to see the real thing.
    For a 250cc machine you'll need the Motorcycle Class A2 license. There are plenty of "driving schools" in PP that'll help you with the process, but don't let them convince you to take the short-cut 'fake' route.
    If I were you I'd contact one of the many motorcycle tour operators in Cambodia. I know you're bringing your own bike, but they may be willing to help you with the licensing process (for a small fee no doubt).
    Even if YOU are properly licensed, make sure your BIKE is legally registered in Cambodia too... riding an improperly registered machine is illegal, and could cause problems with a claim. Can't help you with the regulations on tis one, but you could try asking consular officials at the Cambodian embassy in your home country (or wherever you are) about what's required. It could be as simple as a stamp in your passport, but it may be more. about 8 years ago

    Answered by Ask Phil via Site_iconWorldNomads.com
    • Also, depending on your country of residence, make sure you are aware of any special exclusions regarding motorcycle riding. Some of our underwriters exclude things like "trans-continental touring". Read your policy really carefully. If in doubt, call the help line. Ask Phil about 8 years ago

Answer this question

Map of Cambodia