1 answer


I will be travelling in October from the UK to Australia where I have a 1 year working holiday visa. I will be stopping off in S.E Asia for 2 months before landing in Australia.

Am I right in thinking that I will only need to purchase travel insurance for the period around Asia as because I am a UK citizen I should be entitled to health cover in Australia under the medicare scheme.

I understand travel policies have lots of other benefits but I am only really concerned should something go wrong medically.


Asked by Ryan via Site_iconWorldNomads.com

1 Answer

  • 0

    Hi Ryan - Katrina from WorldNomads.com here:

    As a UK citizen, you do have reciprocal medical rights in Australia, for treatment that is medically necessary, but it doesn't cover every treatment you might need.

    You've also got to remember one of the most expensive things, which travel insurance covers (amongst the obvious like overseas medical costs and other things like personal liability and baggage) is ambulance transport and for the most serious cases, medical evacuation home.

    For example, if you suddenly get sick or injured and you need to get to hospital by ambulance, need medical transport between hospitals or if it's really serious, you need to get back home for treatment and rehabilitation - repatriation by specially equipped air ambulance can exceed $200,000.

    Medicare also doesn't cover you for emergency dental work or physiotherapy - so that's something else to consider.

    Another thing to consider is what happens if you need to get back home quickly if your close relative dies or get seriously sick - travel insurance covers that too. Plus, no one like to think about it, but if you die while travelling, travel insurance covers the cost to get your body back home to your family.

    And finally, if you buy chance cause someone else's' injury or damage property then your covered for this by insurance and the Personal Liability clauses.

    You can see what WorldNomads.com Travel insurance covers for UK residents here (please read the policy wording too, so you know what your covered for (and not) and if it's right for your trip) - http://www.worldnomads.com/travel-insurance/prices-and-benefits-country.aspx?Country=GBR

    Remember, we let you buy the duration you need now and extend your policy when you're travelling. eg. you can buy the 2 month policy now and extend later (before the 2 mths ends) for your Australian trip.

    Let us know if you've got specific questions - http://worldnomads.com/contactus.aspx

    Have a great trip through Asia - we'll see you in Australia! (Sun's out in Sydney today and it's warm!) over 9 years ago

Answer this question

Map of Australia