5 answers

I would like to do some travel in the UK and other places in Europe before finally arriving in Berlin to live and work for a year.

Is it best to apply for a Working Holiday Visa for Germany before I leave or once I arrive in Berlin?

I was also wondering if I could spend 90 days as a tourist in Germany before perhaps applying for a Working Holiday Visa?

If applying for the Working Holiday Visa in Australia can you choose when you would like to visa start date to be?

Thanks for your help.

Asked by via Site_iconWorldNomads.com

5 Answers

  • 0

    When my son was there, he wasn't allowed to work for longer than 3 months, contact German Embassy for dettails over 6 years ago

    Answered by via Site_iconAsk a Nomad iPad app
  • 0

    According to the german embassy website: Australian citizens (as well as New Zealand and Japanese citizens) are encouraged to apply for a residence permit after entering Germany at the local immigration authority ('Ausländerbehörde'), without prior applying for a visa in Australia.
    Check out more here: http://www.australien.diplo.de/Vertretung/australien/en/Visa/Working-Holiday.html over 6 years ago

    Answered by Ask Phil via Site_iconWorldNomads.com
  • 0

    Apply in Australia. Whether in Australia or Germany you must apply for an appointment during which you submit your paperwork for the visa. At the German Consulate in Sydney I was able to book an appointment for the next week. For reasons I won't get into I decided instead to apply once I got to Berlin. However, the next available appointment at the Ausländerbehörde (Foreign Office) here is not for two months!

    When in Australia you can choose the dates the visa is valid for. It's there on the application form. about 6 years ago

    Answered by Nick via Site_iconWorldNomads.com
  • 0

    We applied after arrival (as we live in Perth) and it was very easy. We applied in a smaller city (Rosenheim) rather than trying to get an appointment in a big city. Made the appointment in advance, prepared all of the paperwork and requirements (including proof of sufficient funds and insurance). Got the visa that day. We couldn't choose the date, so I guess plan on doing ~2 months travel in the Schengen zone beforehand. over 4 years ago

    Answered by Harley via Site_iconWorldNomads.com
  • 0

    Its better to apply in Australia - as an Australian you can apply at any Germany Embassy abroad. Appointment times in Berlin can be long.

    Here is a good blog post on how to apply for a Working Holiday visa for Germany.


    I moved to Berlin with NomadenBerlin which also provide visa support, as well as accommodation, language school, tours etc. It was great! Setting up in Berlin can be quite difficult with the language barrier and the paperwork, but Nomaden helps you with everything, and you live with other people also moving to Berlin. about 4 years ago

    Answered by Ellie Young via Site_iconWorldNomads.com

Answer this question

Map of Australia