1 answer

I asked the same question to the SA visitor information and they said: As long as we can see what you can drive on the license is ok, she looked my license and that was ok because it is very explicit. ANd the other condition was not to be a full resident of Australia.

So do guys had a problem with the police ?
Is it only in SA ?

1 Answer

  • 0

    Yes, and no.
    The rules vary from state to state, but generally you can use your home license to drive a vehicle of an equivalent class for a certain period of time, as long as your license is understandable in ENGLISH.
    This is what an IDP does - translate your license into several languages so it is easily understood by local police. An IDP does not give you any extra driving rights.
    The South Australia government website says:
    "If your visit is temporary, you may drive the equivalent vehicle in Australia as authorised by your current licence issued to you in your home country, as long as:
    your licence is written in English or accompanied by an English translation
    you have an international driving permit
    you haven't been disqualified from driving in any country.
    You must carry your licence and translation or international driving permit at all times while driving and must produce these and your temporary visa to police on request.
    If your overseas licence expires while you are in Australia, you must obtain an Australian licence."
    So it seems an IDP or an official translation will suffice.
    Phil at the safety hub almost 8 years ago

    Answered by Ask Phil via Site_iconWorldNomads.com

Answer this question

Map of Australia