I have made a plan for travelling through Indochina, am I doing too much travel and not enough staying?
I am also uncertain about my time in Laos, if I'm travelling alone would there be better options than what I'm doing or will I find plenty of people to make friends with?
Melbourne -> Saigon 6th
Saigon -> Vung Tau 8th
Vung Tau -> Sihanoukville 18th
Sihanoukville -> Phnom Penh 23rd
Phnom Penh -> Siam Reap 25th
Siam Reap -> Bangkok 29th
Bangkok -> Vientiane -> Vang Vieng 30th
Vang Vieng -> Luang Prabang 4th
Luang Prabang -> Chiang Mai 7th/8th
Chiang Mai -> Bangkok -> Melbourne 10th/11th
It depends on what you like doing, but that is certainly a pretty full itinerary.
I've been around that region quite a bit over the years, so if I had 4 weeks I'd probably:
- adjust to and explore Saigon
- explore some of the Mekong delta. You could easily spend a week doing just that; Mytho, Cantho, etc etc
- Siem reap & Angkor Wat - personally I'd allow a week just for that but then I love temples
- I'd skip vang vieng but Luang Prabang is gorgeous
- there are also parts of Thailand that are still wonderful, even Bangkok
But if I were you, I'd focus your trip a little more; 4 countries in 4 weeks you'll just glance off the surface. over 4 years ago