5 answers

Am going around the world for a year and the other day I saw someone mention needing one for Bali on a blog. Is this true? Is there anywhere else anyone knows of that hiring a car may require one? Am from the UK.

Asked by via Site_iconWorldNomads.com

5 Answers

  • 0

    I've just returned from Japan and to hire a car there you need one. I'm Australian but it was really very easy to get one and it's valid for one year. almost 9 years ago

  • 0

    May be an idea to also do a quick sanity check with a few rental car agencies in the UK and ask what their requirements are for their branches overseas. I have rented cars in Argentina & costa rica and was able to use my US license. almost 9 years ago

    Answered by tunnsey via Site_iconWorldNomads.com
  • +1

    The International Driving Permit is essentially a document which translates into several languages the details of your home driving license. The permit shows which class of license you have at home, it does NOT give you permission to drive something you're not licensed for - so no motorbike license at home, no license in any other country.
    The IDP is recognised in 150+ countries, but there are special conditions for some of them. Your AA has a list here: https://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/idp-requirements-by-country.html
    On that list it says you CAN get a visitor's license in Vietnam, however the conditions are restrictive; you must have a Vietnamese RESIDENCE permit before being issued with the temporary visitor's driving license says the link from the Australian dept of Foreign Affairs. The US State Department says you need a FULL Vietnamese license.
    It's confusing, and if you have an accident while driving in Vietnam (which is highly likely - it's chaos) you may not be covered by your travel insurance.
    If you know which countries you're going to I can check them out individually for you.
    Phil at WorldNomads safety hub almost 9 years ago

    Answered by Ask Phil via Site_iconWorldNomads.com
  • +1

    I am going to be driving in Canada and I have been told I need a IDP to be able to hire the car. I guess it also gives you another form of ID instead of your passport if you need it. almost 9 years ago

    Answered by Danielle via Site_iconWorldNomads.com
  • 0

    Thanks guys - we are roughly doing Fiji/NZ/OZ/SEA/Japan/Canada/Vancouver/USA/South America although we probably won't be driving much in SEA, we probably will be in Bali.
    Sounds like it might be something worth getting. Am suprised at needing one for Canada I must say. almost 9 years ago

    Answered by via Site_iconWorldNomads.com
    • Fiji, Aus, NZ, Canada - IDP, easy. South America has an equivalent permit, the Inter American Driving Permit (IADP). Good decision not to drive in SEA, the driving conditions in some countries are really dangerous - pay a local to drive you around and let them worry about the accidents. Ask Phil almost 9 years ago

Answer this question

Map of World