4 answers

Everywhere I turn, international travel insurance for long-term travellers in Canada appears to require the continuation of our provincial government medical service plan (MSP). As a Canadian, I've been informed by many people that I must continue my government medical service plan alongside my travel insurance. If this is the case, full medical coverage would cost in the neighbourhood of $1,600+ annually.

The reason for this is that if I don't have my provincial MSP, my emergency medical is reduced from $5million to $20,000. Is there another option for travel insurance as a Canadian that others have used without needing your government MSP?

Asked by via Site_iconWorldNomads.com

4 Answers

  • 0

    By continue your provincial medical coverage, do you mean by not travelling beyond six months?
    Depending on your province of residence, you can extend your provincial coverage beyond six months of travel in certain circumstances. Check on your province's health ministry website. over 7 years ago

  • 0

    Hi, Katrina from WorldNomads.com here. It is common for people to keep their Government Health Insurance for the full duration of their trip, although it is not required.

    If you can extend your provincial health cover, then you can receive the full benefits under the plan we offer for Canadians (up to $5 million in coverage for emergency medical expenses you incur while traveling) If you are not able to extend your cover or prefer not to, then there is some cover under the policy for your overseas medical expenses (limited to CAD$20,000 for all Emergency Medical and Dental). over 7 years ago

  • 0

    Is the final answer from Katrina still true? I am a Canadian citizen who has returned to Canada after 2 years living in Italy - so I'm not covered by a GHIP at the moment. Now looking to visit the US for 3 months, and I am getting contradictory information from various customer service representatives. Kursha from member services team at service@worldnomads.com wrote to me (in contradiction to a phone representative):

    "I am afraid we wouldn’t have another policy that could cover you under these circumstances as you would need to be considered a resident of Italy (meaning, you would be returning back to there continue living) to be covered on a plan – very sorry!"

    Just emergency medical is fine, but I need to know that I will have at least that much coverage before I buy! over 4 years ago

    Answered by via Site_iconWorldNomads.com
  • 0

    Hey Daniel,

    Sorry if you've experienced any confusion. Katrina's reply was written three years ago, so it's best to check with the team.

    If you're a Canadian resident, please email the team at infoCAN@worldnomads.com or call +1(416) 646 3723 7:00am-8:00pm: Monday – Friday CST; 8:00am-6:00pm: Saturday CST.

    All the best,

    Matt over 4 years ago

    Answered by via Site_iconWorldNomads.com

Answer this question

Map of World